DID YOU KNOW?
- If you have been teaching in Manhattan Beach for at least the last 30 years, your pay is now ranked number 57 out of 74 school districts in Los Angeles County. If MBUSD was in Orange County, your pay would rank 30th, which would put it at the very bottom of the list. In comparison, you are underpaid by 10 percent, or more than $8,000 each year. Even if MBUSD was in Riverside County, your pay would would rank 22 out of 23 and still be underpaid by $2000.
- If you are a first-year teacher starting out at MBUSD, your pay ranks 17th. You are paid almost $1,900 less (or -1.5%) each year than the average of those districts whose median API is ranked 44th and average API is ranked 41st. By sharp contrast, MBUSD’s API is ranked 3rd among the same schools.
- Teachers at MBUSD get $31.83 for extra duty pay while the average hourly extra pay for teachers in Los Angeles County is $34.52.
- MBUSD ranks 10th in Los Angeles County’s 74 school districts when it comes to largest class size.
- When adjusted for inflation, the average teacher pay in Los Angeles County has increased 4.4 percent since 2004, but the average MBUSD teacher salary has increased only 1.1 percent in the same time period.
- MBUSD has the fifth largest income (base revenue limit) in Los Angeles County among unified school districts.
- MBUSD has the largest surplus cash with almost $24.2 million in funds 01, 40, and 63. (All amounts are unrestricted.)
- District spending on teacher salary and benefits ranks MBUSD 10 out of 13 nearby districts while its surplus cash is ranked #1.
- The Board of Trustees increased the REU (reserves for economic uncertainty) minimum from 3% to 5%, shielding $1.3 million from unions.
- MBUSD ranks #1 in books & supplies spending with 4.61% of total spending. Other districts nearby spend between 2.23 and 3.90 percents.
WHY SHOULD YOU CARE?
- MBUSD will spend $300,000 on phase II of the wireless deployment project. This amount is nearly 1 percent market rate adjustment in salary for certificated and classified staff.
- MBUSD has committed to spending $700,000 on phase III of wireless deployment. This is the equivalent of about 2.1 percent market rate adjustment in salary for all MBUSD employees.
- The 2% increase in REU minimum would have funded 4 percent market rate adjustment in salary for every bargaining unit member.